Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saudade

"Saudade" is a word in Portuguese, which has no exactly translation in English and neither in other language. It describes the feeling of missing somebody, and usually someone that you love.
You can say it regarding to things too, but for things that make a special sense for you. For example, you can feel "saudade" of your childhood, or of a house in the country which you used to go before, or of your hometown, your house, or even your mother's food.
When we say that we are with "saudade" we want to say almost the same as "I miss you", but the difference is that "miss" is a verb, and "saudade" is a noun.
I am here in the United States by myself, without my family, and sometimes I really miss them. I have many friends here, but it is not the same. I can say that I miss my family, but actually I feel "saudade".

2 comments:

  1. Everybody goes through to that feeling at some point in here, but you just need to stay strong, and if you feel lonely just give them a call, and you will see they will always be there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very interesting word. I can understand you. Even if I have friends here, I miss my close members. Very often I feel saudade too.

    ReplyDelete